The Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps offers work experience, job training, and educational opportunities to young people who complete recreation and conservation projects on Pennsylvania’s public lands.
In addition to hands-on job skills, the program provides learning opportunities weekly in resource management, environmental issues and topics, and recreation skills.
Corps members also will be provided with workforce development training and materials during their period of employment.
The Elk State Forest is fortunate enough to have both young adult and the youth programs this year.
The Young Adult Outdoor Corps members projects are as follows:
- GPS and collecting boundary line information on the Lyme Easement
- Habitat enhancement work: pruning, vegetative treatment, tree tube rehabilitation
- Pavilion construction: cement work, construction work
- Construct a trail bridge: cement work and construction work
- Habitat enclosures: installing fences for native plantings for wildlife
The 2019 Pennsylvania Outdoor Corps is financially supported by DCNR and the Pa. Department of Labor and Industry’s Reemployment Program.
Those who would like to contact the Elk State Forest may call the District Office at (814) 486-3353. One can visit them online at www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ or check them out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/elkstateforest.