DuBOIS — DuBois held off a late-game push by West Shamokin to secure a 4-2 victory at home Wednesday.

The Beavers took a 3-1 lead after the first half, but a converted penalty kick by the Wolves cut the lead to one, as a gaol in the final minutes secured the home win.

DuBois got the scoring started in the 11th minute, as Alex Gribik delivered a pass to Nico McDonald near the top of the box.

The senior worked his way into space around a West Shamokin defender and fired a shot towards goal.

The shot dropped in under the cross bar, just off the fingertips of Wolves goalkeeper Evan Cornish and into the back of the net to give DuBois a 1-0 lead.

Less than one minute later, the Beavers found the back of the net again.

This time it was Nolan Bussell, who chased down a long ball ahead of two West Shamokin defenders and fired a shot into the net to give DuBois a 2-0 advantage.

“We knew that they were going to be a good team,” DuBois head coach Matt Erickson said. “We didn’t know exactly what to expect from them, but we knew that we were going to have to play our best to win.”

The head coach added that it was important that his players were up for the challenge early and fought hard in a tight game.

The Wolves responded in the 16th minute to cut DuBois’ lead in half.

Ethan Oesterling delivered a through ball to Liam Alese, who drove a low shot to the far post as the ball found the side netting just inside the post to bring the score to 2-1.

The Beavers used another long ball to score their third goal of the opening 40 minutes and stretch their lead back out to two.

This time it was McDonald sending a long pass from near midfield to Nick Graeca inside the box, as the sophomore found the back of the net to put DuBois in front 3-1 at the 21:32 mark of the opening half.

Both teams were held scoreless in the final 18 minutes and change of the first half, as DuBois took a 3-1 lead into the break.

The score remained 3-1 for most of the second half despite strong offensive pushes from both sides.

With just under 10 minutes left to play, the Wolves drew a penalty kick as a player was taken down inside the box.

Alese calmly converted the PK driving a shot to the right of an outstretched Jordan Meinert for his second goal of the night to bring the score to 3-2 with 9:20 left to play.

As the Wolves pushed for a tying goal in the closing minutes, it was DuBois who found the back of the net once again to secure the win.

Bussell pressured a West Shamokin defender into a turnover and had a breakaway as he sent a powerful shot inside the far post to bring the score to 4-2.

“One thing we’ve been good with all season long is when we have a lead on a team, if they come back and score or tie the game, we’ve alway picked up the tempo a little bit and made sure teams weren’t able to get back on us again,” Erickson said.

DuBois returns to action Wednesday, as they travel to Punxsutawney for a 4 p.m. kickoff.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.